Chincoteague Island is a small barrier island off the coast of Virginia. Only about 4,300 people live on the island but over a million people visit each year. The local vibe is strong (locals are called Teaguer’s) but it’s a friendly vibe and tourists are welcome. It’s a beautiful place to visit. Come see what it’s all about. To help you we’ve come up with a list of 25 fun things to do on Chincoteague!
Fun Things to Do on Chincoteague
On the water
- Daisey Island Cruises – Sit back and relax, this pontoon boat tour will give you a close-up view from the water of the ponies.
- Go fishing! – Fishing is one of the quintessential things to do on Chincoteague. Take a charter with a local who can put you right on some fish.
- Ride the Pony Express! – This little trolley makes seven stops around the island and is an easy way to see Chincoteague. Plus it only costs a quarter!
- Teaguer’s Tump Tours – Take a tour in a passenger van and learn about the island from a local.
- Chincoteague Island Museum – Get a little bit of history with your vacation.
- Captain Timothy Hill House – It’s free to visit this historic house though donations are accepted.
- NASA Visitors Center – Head to the visitors center (it’s FREE!) to learn about the space program and if you’re lucky, watch a rocket launch.
- Self – guided historic walking tour – The Chamber of Commerce has brochures for a self guided walking and biking tour. Pick one up and choose your own adventure.
- See the area from a plane! – Ever wanted to fly in a Cessna 172? Now’s your chance. Flights depart from Accomack County Airport (about 30 minutes south of Chincoteague).
- Chincoteague Pony Centre – Get a lesson, check out the stables or even attend a camp. It’s all about the ponies here!
Parks and Entertainment
- Funland – Bumper boats, arcade games, go-karts, mini golf. Be prepared for tons of kids and families.
- Maui Jack’s Waterpark – Waterslides, a splash zone, a cabana area and a lazy river.
- Visit the Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge – Ponies, ponies, ponies and even a lighthouse! (Tip: Bring bug spray!)
- Ride bikes! – If you need to rent them, check out The Bike Depot.
- Shop til ya drop – Easy to find some Chincoteague souvenirs.
- Sundial Books – Grab a book for the beach!
- Ride a horse! – Queen Hive Farm offers riding instruction, boarding AND trail rides for tourists!
- Take a hike! – There are several short trails that you can hike as well as a service road that’s about 7 miles long. For more info and a map, go HERE.
- See the ponies swim! This is an annual tradition. Come see the Saltwater Cowboys swim the ponies from Assateague Island to Chincoteague Island at Pony Swim Lane. Chincoteague provides a free Pony Shuttle service that starts as early as 4:00am.
- Mariner’s Point – Check out the view from this spot and be sure to bring your camera!
- Libertino Bowling Alley – When’s the last time you went bowling? It’s affordable and fun family entertainment. Whatcha waiting for?
Fun Things to Do on Chincoteague!
How many of these these fun things to do on Chincoteague Island have you done? If you visit, we’d love to hear what you think. Also be sure to check out or Best Places to Eat on Chincoteague!
This post was made possible with the help of my Aunt Dawn who’s lived on the Island for the last eight years.
Are you staying on Chincoteague but interested in a day trip off the island? Check out our top Things to Do in Ocean City and the Delaware Beaches!